Toyota unveils MANUAL SUPRA!!
Ever since its first generation*1 in 1978, the Toyota Supra has earned legions of fans with its faithfully retained front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine*2. Also, in addition to the Supra having competed in numerous types of motorsports in the past and currently running in Super GT, the Supra-based, race-specific GR Supra GT4 achieved cumulative sales of 50 units (by the end of 2021), after roughly a year and a half on the market. These and other achievements have made the Supra a model that can be enjoyed on both public roads and racing circuits.
Underlying the latest enhancements is a further-matured chassis for more-refined driving performance and notably a manual transmission – driven by strong customer demand and expectations. The manual transmission has been developed for the 3.0 models to complement the Supra’s high-output engine and supremely capable chassis.
1) Enhanced handling performance and ride comfort through improved steering and suspension (common to all trim levels):
- Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) control and finely tuned shock absorber damping characteristics for improved roll balance and ride comfort
- Modified stabilizer bushings for improved initial steering response
- Revised chassis control systems (AVS, electric power steering, and Vehicle Stability Control) for improved overall steering feel and control when pushing to the limits
2) Newly available manual transmission (3.0 models only):
- Newly developed six-speed manual transmission for the joy of driving powered by a high-output engine
- Spherical, weighted shift knob that is easy to grip and operate from any direction and topped off by the GR logo for a sporty image
- iMT system for optimal computer-controlled engine speed matched to the driver’s clutch and shifting operations and for automatic throttle blipping when shifting, contributing to smooth and comfortable driver-intended sporty driving
- Manual transmission-tuned interior sound for generating excitement during acceleration
- Revised final drive ratio to tailor performance to the manual ‘cog-swapper’
3) Newly designed 19-inch forged wheels (3.0 models only):
- Newly designed 19-inch forged aluminium wheels with revised spoke and cross-sectional shapes for lighter weight and higher rigidity, while sharing design flair with the wheels of the GR Yaris and GR86 for improved performance and functional beauty
- Newly adopted Premium Titanium Dark Silver paint to create a motorsport-like look & feel
- Weight reduction of 1.2 kg per wheel, contributing to improved ride comfort and handling stability due to resulting reduction in unsprung weight
4) Adoption of new exterior colours:
- Iridescent Grey Metallic and Sapphire Blue Metallic exterior colour choices
5) Enhanced sound system
- Improved sound quality through optimal sound tuning of the JBL Premium Sound System
On local tarmac, the revised Supra model line-up will debut at The Festival of Motoring, taking place at Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit in August 2022. Dealer ordering will open in May, with sales commencing in Q3. Both Auto and Manual 3.0T variants will be offered with pricing announced at launch timing.